Tacos have been a part of Mexico's culinary heritage for well over a hundred years but fish tacos are said to come from Baja California, Mexico's northernmost state. Originally made with deep-fried fish, Janice at the Salmon Shoppe recommends grey cod fillets in this recipe for a delicious and fresh version that can be stuffed and enjoyed with any number of fillings. A summertime staple and a great dish that pairs well with some Kale Tabouli Salad. Serves 8
- Stir together all the ingredients for the cilantro lime sauce and refrigerate for an hour while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
- Once the oven is ready, place the cod fillets skin side down on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 8-15 minutes or until your desired finish.
- Heat up the tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds. Cover the tortillas with a wet paper towel to keep them from getting dry.
- Place the cabbage and cod on the tortilla and layer on some avocado and spicy mango salsa. Finally, garnish with some cilantro chile lime sauce.
Kale Tabouli Salad
- Combine water and tabouli mix in a large bowl with olive oil, tomatoes, and kale. Let the mixture stand for 1 hour while it absorbs the water.
- After an hour, stir in the green onion and cucumber.
- Finally, season with some lemon juice and salt and pepper.