Prepared using Zara’s fennel sausages, house-made plum tomato sauce, and fresh Casarecce pasta, it has a depth of flavour that highlights the advantages of using quality ingredients made from scratch.
- Using the fresh sausages, make little meatballs. This can be accomplished by pinching the sausage meat out of the casing and forming little balls. Discard the casing upon completing.
- Place the oil, diced onions, garlic, and meatballs into a large skillet on medium heat. Brown the meatballs for about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Once the meatballs have browned, add Zara's tomato sauce, turn the heat to low, and allow the sauce to begin simmering.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, add the Casarecce pasta and stir. Once the pasta has boiled for 2 minutes remove about a 1/4 cup of the pasta water, add it to the sauce mixture and stir.
- Strain the Casarecce pasta and return to the pot.
- Portion some of the sauce mixture onto the pasta and stir. The sauce should just coat the pasta.
- Plate the pasta and add the remaining sauce on top.
- To finish, sprinkle with Zara's freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Most importantly, don't forget to serve this meal hot.
Expert tip: “For an extra hit of flavour, you can drizzle some amazing extra virgin olive oil on the finished plate.” – Loris, Zara's Deli