GRANVILLE ISLAND ACTIVATION GRANT
Apply for up to $5000.00 to activate public space
Granville Island is a vibrant cultural district located in the center of Vancouver, minutes from downtown and surrounded by ocean, cityscapes and mountain views. With accessible public spaces and an emphasis on pedestrian-friendly streets, Granville Island provides a haven for locals and tourists, inviting people to relax and enjoy their surroundings.
To expand and connect the pedestrian realm on Granville Island, we are offering micro-grants of up to $5000.00 to activate our new public space, The Chain & Forge, a flexible gathering space located directly under the Granville Street Bridge, at the physical heart of Granville Island.
WHAT IS THE CHAIN AND FORGE?
A new public space under the Granville Street Bridge: “The Chain & Forge” is named after the Canada Chain & Forge Factory that operated on this site during Granville Island’s industrial era. The Chain and Forge will become a gathering place to enhance social connection through diverse outdoor programming, temporary structures, installations, pop ups, workshops, and markets.
Grants are available to individuals, artist-ensembles/collectives and non-profit organizations, with the purpose of enhancing social connection, fostering creativity, and building vital urban environments through diverse outdoor programming, temporary structures, installations, pop ups, informal gatherings, workshops, and markets. Activations and programming should vary in length from 1 to 7 days, during the daytime and/or evening, and must provide a minimum of 4 hours of public interaction.
REVIEW PROCESS & CRITERIA
Timeline for Activation Grants: Projects that receive grants must take place May – September 30th, 2018.
- Dec 1, 2017 Applications Open
- Jan 24, 2018 Information Session
- Feb 12, 2018 Application Deadline
- March 2018 Finalists Announced
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, February 12th, 2018 by 4 pm
Activation Grants will support the following activities and more…
- Cultural Programming: outdoor theatre, performance art, dance, live music, food events, cultural celebrations
- Interactive Activities: games, workshops, community art projects, public dancing
- After Dark: unique lighting elements, projection, film screenings, multi-media events
- Public Art Installations: 1 week to 4 months (Materials must be durable in variable weather)
- Demonstrations, marches, and rallies
- Promotional activations, fundraising
Priority will be given to projects that showcase a strong combination of the following aspects:
- Accessibility: Inspiring participation and engaging people of various ages, abilities, cultural backgrounds and economic status
- Innovation: Unique designs, programming and use of space, creative collaborations
- Capacity: Knowledge, skills and resources required to facilitate, coordinate, and administer the project
Note: Depending on the nature of proposal, applicants may be required to provide insurance and obtain permits and/or approval from other applicable city processes such as Vancouver Coastal Health.
To access and submit an Activation Grant application, PLEASE APPLY HERE.
Please submit questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org