History & Architecture

  • Location

Big Red Barn

Granville Island’s Red Barn started out as a warehouse for National Machinery Company Ltd. Inside the barn, the company manufactured important machinery for local industry. The Red Barn is now part of the Granville Island Maritime Market and Boatyard.

Read More »
Hidden History

Canada Chain and Forge occupied a number of buildings on Granville Island and their sign can still be seen on Anderson Street above the parkade entrance. Granville Island employees discovered a massive chain link left behind by the company in 2009, which can still be found inside the parkade today.

Read More »
Industrial Boom

The industrial boom of the 20th century required Vancouver to make room for the forest, mining, construction and shipping industries. Once the second Granville Street Bridge was complete, the Vancouver Harbour Commission approved a 35-acre reclamation project, which would ultimately result in the creation of Granville Island.

Read More »
Industrial Land

Granville Island was initially named Industrial Island, but “Granville”, named after the bridge that runs directly overhead, was the name that stuck.

Read More »
Island No More

Granville Island ceased being an island in the 1950s. The city intended to make room for more industrial space by filling in False Creek. They started by filling in the Granville Island back-channel and created the area that Sutcliffe Park and the Waterpark now occupy.

Read More »
It Started with a Mud Flat

Granville Island was completed in 1916 using material dredged from False Creek. Once a mud flat, the man-made island became home to the warehouses, mills, factories and shops that serviced local industries.

Read More »
Need for Green

Granville Island didn’t have any green space until the 1970s. The “Mound” in Ron Basford Park was actually a large pile of fill and concrete that was cleaned up from the rest of the Island during redevelopment. The area was then covered with topsoil and grass, resulting in the green oasis we know today.

Read More »
Open for Business

Granville Island’s first business opened in 1917. BC Equipment Ltd repaired and assembled equipment for the mining and forestry industries. Their wood-framed machine shop now houses part of the Public Market.

Read More »
The Kids Market

The Kids Market’s 25 shops, services and activities are located next to the pond at the entrance to Granville Island. The Market was created in 1984 and is housed in a train caboose, two annex buildings and a 100-year old factory.

Read More »
The Public Market

The six buildings that make up the Public Market once housed companies that manufactured and sold equipment for the logging, mining and shipping industries.

Read More »
Why False Creek is “False”

George Henry Richards named False Creek during his survey of the coast in the mid-19th century. He thought he was going up a creek while traveling the south side of the Burrard Inlet, but soon discovered his mistake, hence the name ‘False’. Some of the best views of False Creek can be seen from the Granville Island Hotel patio.

Read More »

Public Market open 7 days a week
from 9AM - 6PM
Holiday Hours
Dec 24: 9am – 5pm
Dec 25 & 26: CLOSED
Dec 31: 9am – 5pm
Jan 1: CLOSED
Covid safety plan →


For retail, individual store, restaurant, gallery & studio hours, please click:
Store Hours | Open Map