Granville Island ceased being an island in the 1950s. The city intended to make room for more industrial space by filling in False Creek. They started by filling in the Granville Island back-channel and created the area that Sutcliffe Park and the Waterpark now occupy.
Island No More
Granville Island was initially named Industrial Island, but “Granville”, named after the bridge that runs directly overhead, was the name that stuck.
Granville Island’s first business opened in 1917. BC Equipment Ltd repaired and assembled equipment for the mining and forestry industries....
The six buildings that make up the Public Market once housed companies that manufactured and sold equipment for the logging, mining and shipping industries.