Serves 2 - 4
1. Start by making the dumpling filling. Pulse cabbage in a food processor until finely chopped, but not puréed.
2. Place cabbage in a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze it to remove any excess liquid.
3. Transfer to a large bowl along with pork, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, cornstarch, sesame oil, and pepper.
4. Working with one dumpling wrapper at a time, hold wrapper flat in the palm of your hand. Place 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of filling in the center of wrapper.
5. Wet edges of wrapper and fold over filling to form a half-moon shape, pressing out any excess air as you seal edges of dumpling together.
6. Use your fingers to pinch pleats around edge of the half circle.
7. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat until all wrappers and filling are used up.
8. To fry dumplings, heat about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Swirl warm oil over bottom of pan before adding dumplings in a single layer, taking care that they don’t touch each other.
9. Add enough water to reach half way up dumplings, cover and cook until water has evaporated and bottoms of dumpling have crisped and browned.
10. While dumplings are cooking, whisk together dipping sauce ingredients.
11. Serve dumplings hot with dipping sauce on the side.